Thursday, May 13, 2010

Giro d' Italia 2010 - Underway

Or should I say ... underwear

On day 2 / Stage 2 of this year's Giro d' Italia (tour of Italy - first of the year's three Grand Tours - Italy, France, Spain), Mark and I were horrified (although not surprised) at the number of (rather spectacular) crashes.  What a day in the saddle for these guys.

Of particular "interest" to both of us were the two NAKED RIDERS that got back on their bikes after one crash in particular -- both were from Team FOOTON-SERVETTO-FUJI, and we couldn't believe how their "kits" just blew apart in the crash.  What a downer, right? 

If you want to know what I'm talkng about, click on the link to a YouTube clip of Stage Two's CRASHES (in the title of this post) ... it's in Italian, so enjoy the language, first of all.   Next, watch closely at about 2:56 into the clip -- that's where the crash happens, and although the TV coverage was better - you will get a glimpse of these two poor riders.  (what's left of their kit is black ...)

{and by the way, in this same clip, a rather heartbreaking crash - three guys off the side of the road - never let it be believed that crashing in grass is any better than on the asphalt - this happens at 7:07 in the video}

Back to naked guys on bikes.   Right?  Isn't that what we're here for, after all ???

So back up a bit, to 5:13 - 5:40 in this clip ... this is the crash that Mark and I just couldn't believe.  Okay, so in THIS clip, the close-ups reveal ... somewhat LESS than we could see from a helicopter overhead view, thereby leading us to believe that this guy was HALF NAKED.  {Imagine my delight !!!}  What you're looking for here is rider # 101 ...

All right, so after another day of watching the Giro action, we discovered that this team has a "kit" that LOOKS like the guys are half-naked.  Honestly.  I'm not kidding.  It's like the sponsors wanted them to show off ... all their "goods", and I'm not talking about the names of the sponsors.

Last night, watching Stage 4 of the Giro, I finally caught the name of the team in the unusual uniforms.

Footon-Servetto-Fuji.  This morning, I Googled them.  Lo and behold, I found photographs of the Team "unveiling" the 2010 kits, and just have to share with you all:







the approach to the unveiling ... notice the one poor guy, with his head hung in ... I don't know, what do YOU think is going through his mind just about now?




and here they are - unveiled for all the world to see.  See what, you might ask?  Gee ... you tell me.


Call me juvenile, but when I see a guy in a revealing pair of bike shorts, I can't help but ... stare.   There, I've admitted it.   Our cycling friends (well, the women anyway ) well recall the early days, when I was a newbie to all this ... I had a particular favorite (and I'm serious, here):  Jaan Kirsipuu, the Estonian sprinter.   The highlight of my very first Tour de France (2002, after his stage 5 win in Rouen) was standing up close to Jaan himself.  And I have the photos to prove it.  Those, and his autograph.

If you'd like to see the mighty Kirsipuu for yourself, I'm including some of my fave images here ...


 his winning style ...

 

 and his winning smile ...













his humility ... when he took a second instead of a win ...






oh, and lest we forget, the overall Jaan .. it's his podium shots I love the best !!!


But back to this year's Giro d'Italia ... if you, too, would like to follow the 2010 race, it's being covered daily on Universal Sports (television), and the km by km coverage I like the best is still at www.cyclingnews.com

If you'd like to know more about Footon-Servetto-Fuji's 2010 cycling team, click here http://footon-servetto-fuji.com/en/home/id/1/

-- Davielle

No comments: