Monday, September 1, 2008

DRAW SOMETHING EVERY DAY


Some / most of you know that I am an interior designer; and some of you know that I am the first to confess: I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag (as they say, whoever "they" are!).

I was content (honestly, I was THRILLED) to get those "C" grades in my drafting classes. I'm not kidding.

So a little over a year ago, when my friend Ann suggested I re-connect with an acquaintance who teaches WATERCOLOR JOURNALING, I think I replied along the lines of "ME? ha! no way - I can't do that". Then I checked out my friend's blogspot, http://janeville.blogspot.com/ and I was so taken with the beautiful watercolor journaling that Jane LaFazio does - that I was tempted. Sorely tempted. REALLY tempted.

Tempted enough, in the end, that I signed up with another friend, Cynthia, to take Jane's fantastic Watercolor Journaling workshop - which was held on a full day at a beautiful Retreat in Cardiff. WOW. I did it!

It was due in large part because just before I committed to the class, I heard that "ONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING SCARY - EVERY DAY".

Step outside your comfort zone, take on your fears, tackle something that you're afraid won't turn out right - just so you can say "I tried" and heck, you'll probably succeed in the end -- so with that new mantra in my head, I signed up.

I am so glad I did.

Just after that Workshop in 2007, Mark and I headed to Mexico for ten days - Mark was in a week-long stage race (bicycle) and we had a blast with our friends ... and for those who know me, just GOING ON THAT TRIP was a HUGE STEP outside my comfort zone. It was mind-blowing!

So to add to whatever fears I might have traveled with, throughout Mexico, I chose to take along my watercolor journaling supplies - and yes, I watercolor-journaled my thru the trip. Yes, I did.

I have posted a photo of a page I did with my grandson, Trevor, last year ...

Back to my being an interior designer who cannot (really) draw so well ... taking that workshop opened my eyes and my heart and my mind to -- all the terrific possibilities there are out there for us to TAKE ON SOMETHING SCARY -- for me, that was drawing.

For now, I leave you with THIS wonderful quote, which I found today in an architectural-forum brochure that I receive:

"Do not fail as you go on, to draw something every day, for no matter how little it is, it will be well worthwhile, and it will do you a world of good." -- Cennino Cennini

No comments: