Wednesday, June 3, 2009

# 280

Wow, the serendipity / coincidence of the number 80 ... just the other day I was posting my eightieth (80th) blog post on http://iamprincessmagpie.blogspot.com and this morning, I notice that this is my TWO HUNDRED and EIGHTIETH on this, my very first blog. Deep breath.

So here's just a bunch of "number 280" stuff, courtesy of Wikipedia - trivia - information - things you probably don't need or want to know, really - all relative to the NUMBER 280:

280 (two hundred [and] eighty) is the natural number after 279 and before 281.

The denominator of the eighth harmonic number, 280 is an octagonal number.

NOW that just sounds a bit mystical to me; doesn't it?

There are 280 plane trees with ten nodes. As a consequence of this, 18 people around a round table can shake hands with each other in non-crossing ways, in 280 different ways (this includes rotations).

OKAY, now what the heck does that mean (above)? why do the "ten nodes on 280 plane trees" (consequently) influence the whole "18 people around a round table" deal? huh? what is this!? PLS EXPLAIN TO ME.

280 is a base 10 Harshad number.

UM, what's a Harshad number?

AND NOW, for all you road-trip-loving folks ... this is good stuff from The Golden State:

Interstate 280 (I-280) is a 57 mile (92 km) long north-south Interstate Highway in the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California. It connects San Jose and San Francisco, running along just to the west of the cities of San Francisco Peninsula for most of its route.

I-280 beginning at its interchange with State Route 1 in Daly City was built and dedicated as the JUNIPERO SERRA Freeway. One of the dedication signs (in Daly City) still indicates that the Junipero Serra Freeway is known as the "World's Most Beautiful Freeway" due to its scenic route though the San Francisco Peninsula. The portion of Interstate 280 between U.S. 101 and Interstate 880 is also named the Sinclair Freeway. This route is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System, and is eligible for the State Scenic Highway System.

Being the good, native San Diegan girl that I am, I most certainly DO know who Father Juniper Serra was ... I mean, he founded all our California Missions (well, most of 'em, anyway), including the amazing Presidio (above Old Town, San Diego) and the first church in California, the Mission San Diego de Alcala'.

AND AS IF ALL THAT ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU ROADIES, there's a bit more to be had:

In between San Jose and San Francisco, Interstate 280 passes through Santa Clara, Cupertino, Los Altos, and Los Altos Hills before it settles along its scenic route just to the west of the cities of the San Francisco Peninsula in San Mateo County and just to the east of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I-280 re-emerges in a decidedly urbanized area in the city of San Bruno, passing through South San Francisco and Daly City before it runs across a southeastern swath of the city of San Francisco on the way to its northern terminus.

NOW THIS I DO KNOW: San Bruno is where my mother and I once visited a great-aunt of my mother's ... I cannot remember her name, though. Her (then already deceased husband) had been a staff photographer for National Geographic in his day -- and she had thousands of images he had taken for NG. How cool is that? And because I was then, that very summer (it was, I believe, my summer between 9th and 10th, or 10th and 11th grades) taking PHOTOGRAPHY in summer school -- I was very engaged with this woman I had never heard of nor met before. She was kind enough to gift me with a black and white photo of a Black Bear, climbing DOWN a tree -- looking right at the camera -- that photo meant a lot to me, and some years later, it finally disappeared. I've been wishing I still had it ever since.
And because BEARS have long been a collection/passion of mine (in our household, we even have a saying: "All Bears Welcome" .. but that's a whole 'nother story!), I am including a link to Brown Bear info:


Okay, enough, already.

Hoping your not bored to {280} tears,

davielle

No comments: