Tuesday, November 4, 2008

One Dress, TWO VERY DIFFERENT LOOKS

So you all know that if you take RED and BLUE and blend them together, you get PURPLE, right? So here on Election Night, that's what I've done ... with the font color of the text, anyway. Really, I need a job or something, don't I?! Now that I've bored you with a Lesson in Color, let me go on to (hopefully NOT) bore you with a Lesson in Accessorizing ... from one of the Masters (oops, MISTRESSES) of the Art of Accessorizing.

My mother Edith (or, as in her later years she liked to spell it: EdYth) sure could turn heads. Take these two photos, for instance ... lovely, yes? What I never before realized - call me Struck Blind by Her Sheer Beauty - was that she was wearing THE SAME DRESS in both, yet because of earring, hat, and in one case, clutch purse - she got totally different looks out of it. Wow. I wish, oh how I wish, we still had all her now-vintage ... handbags & clutches, hats & glasses, and those dresses ... WOW, those dresses. Of course, slender as she was back then, they'd never FIT me or my sister ;-) ... but oh, just to have them in our closets, beckoning us to WORK HARD and HARDER to wear them --- talk about incentive!

this, her somewhat demure look ...

and this, her Steamy-yet-somehow-still-Refined look ...

Honestly, though, other than for photo shoots and fashion shows, Mom RARELY wore ... earrings! Can you tell I'm still ... dreaming? That, and feeling very nostalgic about Mom. Must be because she was SUCH the American Girl, ever the Patriot, our mother, and VOTING / ELECTION DAY was always always always SO VERY IMPORTANT to her ... her parents didn't raise a dummy with Edith, no sirree ...
-- D.

No comments: